Donor Egg Program
One of the assisted reproductive technologies available at Houston IVF is in vitro fertilization with egg donation. This allows women who do not have viable egg to become pregnant and give birth. For the patient, the experience of donor egg IVF is similar to a frozen embryo transfer cycle, in that the patient undergoes treatment with hormones to prepare the uterine lining, monitoring and embryo transfer, but not ovulation induction or egg retrieval.
The women in need of donated eggs have one of several sources of infertility, including:
- Premature ovarian failure which causes little or no ovarian function
- Older reproductive age
- Congenitally absent or surgically absent ovaries
- Women may have eggs, but the eggs have shown poor performance
- Genetic disorders or chromosomal translocations that they wish to avoid passing on to their children
- Women may be survivors of Hodgkin’s Disease or other cancers wherein chemotherapy or radiation therapy has destroyed their eggs
Egg donors may be a family member or friend of the woman desiring a pregnancy or an anonymous volunteer screened by our staff. The egg donor must use fertility drugs to stimulate the development of multiple mature eggs, whereas the recipient woman takes estrogen and progesterone to prepare the uterus for embryos derived through egg donation. Ninety percent of our egg donor cycles include the use of an anonymous young woman donor. Our donor egg IVF pregnancy rate has consistently ranged between 65% – 70% per treatment cycle over the past several years.
The sperm of the husband or partner is used to fertilize the eggs. All egg donors are carefully screened before they are accepted into the program. Anonymous egg donors are healthy women between the ages of 19-32 who go through the following testing procedures before being accepted:
- Medical history and physical examination
- Testing for infectious diseases
- Chromosome Analysis
- Screening for inheritable diseases through family health questionnaire
- Psychological assessment through the Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory and interview with our staff psychologist.
Many recipient couples have a large number of embryos through egg donation, which allows the possibility of freezing some for future use.
Houston IVF’s success rates for couples using donor eggs are consistently higher than the national average. Your physician and nurse will work with you to coordinate all of your care and Fertility Resources of Houston will assist you with the selection of the right donor for you. And you can do it all at one location: