December 01, 2013
ASRM is proud to partner with the Choosing Wisely® campaign. Choosing Wisely, an initiative of the ABIM Foundation, aims to spark patient-physician conversations by providing lists of “Things Physicians and Patients Should Question,” http://www.choosingwisely.org/doctor-patient-lists. These lists, created by leading medical specialty societies, contain evidence-based recommendations on common, but often unnecessary tests and procedures that physicians and patients should talk about.
ASRM provided Choosing Wisely with recommendations on common tests for the evaluation of infertility that should be questioned by physicians in consultation with their patients before being ordered. These include:
- Diagnostic laparoscopy for the evaluation of unexplained infertility;
- Advanced sperm function testing in the initial evaluation of the infertile couple;
- Post-coital testing for the evaluation of infertility;
- Thrombophilia testing on patients undergoing routine infertility evaluation; and
- Immunological testing as part of routine infertility evaluation.
The recommendations are followed up on the site by short explanations of the evidence and thinking behind them and by references. ASRM‘s recommendations and accompanying information will be available at http://www.choosingwisely.org/doctor-patient-lists/american-society-for-reproductive-medicine.
The physicians at Houston IVF do their very best to practice evidence-based medicine.